Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Pierogi Lasagna


This is what I like to call "how can I take two separate, delicious, meals and combine them into one over the top ridiculous, heart attack inducing, oh-my-goodness I'm going to eat until I explode, new favorite dish".
Or... pierogies + lasagna = true love.
 I'm counting this as one of my better inventions. It's got everything that you could possibly need. Meat, cheese, pierogies, and, yes, even vegetables. 
I threw in the veggies so then I could at least claim some health benefit. 
True story - throw in a handful of vegetables and *voila* now it's healthy. 
You're welcome. 


Pierogi Lasagna

Ingredients
40 (approx) pierogies (frozen)
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 small onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup coleslaw mix (or mixed shredded veggies)
1 jar spaghetti sauce
3 (approx) cups shredded cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. 
Place a generous scoop of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan. (Can also be made in a deep 9 X 9 pan). 
Place a layer of frozen pierogies in the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
In a large frying pan, cook the beef, onions, and garlic until beef is no longer pink. Add in the veggies and continue to cook another 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in the spaghetti sauce. Remove from heat. 
Layer half of the meat sauce over the pierogies.
Sprinkle with half of the cheese.


Repeat the layers again - remaining pierogies, remaining meat sauce, remaining cheese.


Cover with tinfoil.
Now pop that bad boy into the oven until it's good and bubbly - about an hour to an hour and 20 minutes. **I cooked it for 50 minutes, covered, then another 15 minutes, uncovered.**
Let sit for about 5 minutes.


Serve hot.


So much meaty, cheesy, pierogi-y goodness.


A small piece goes a long way, by the way.
Serve it with a salad (totally makes it even healthier, FYI) and maybe a piece of garlic toast (because carbs, that's why).


Hubbies everywhere will thank you. 
Oh, and teenagers. 
Yes, the ladies too will be clamoring at your door to shake your hand if you serve this to them. 
Everyone needs to indulge once in a while.  


We're sharing over at Carole's Chatter and Wondermom Wannabe and Cookin and Craftin and Adventures of Mel and Dizzy Busy and Hungry ! Be sure to pop over and say hi! 

4 comments:

  1. Been making this for years! Also great made with ravioli. A great time saver and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ravioli would be brilliant! Great suggestion :)

      Delete
  2. Make mine with cheese ravioli and my family didn't know the difference til they saw me make it one night

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this with Ravioli for my daughter as a freezer meal after giving birth to my new grandson!! Great recipe!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete