Saturday, August 8, 2015

Nutella Energy Bars (No Bake)


This summer has been a scorcher here in Lillooet. Temps of 40 degrees have been fairly common. 
Can I just say....
No. Thank you.
Let's skip through this nonsense and get to fall. 
I have been having withdrawal symptoms from not being able to use my oven. 
In order to keep myself sane I have been working on some no bake recipes. I developed this one for my niece, Kenzie. She is a Nutella freak and she is gluten free so I knew she would be a fan of this recipe. She took these camping as a quick energy boost and tells me they were a big hit. 
These are so easy to whip up and you can switch out the add ins to your favorites!


Nutella Energy Bars (No Bake)

Ingredients
1/4 cup Reese Peanut Butter Chocolate Spread
1/2 cup Nutella
1/3 cup no sugar added syrup (I used ED Smith)
2 1/2 cups Quaker Quick Oats
1 Tbsp ground flax
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried apricots, diced
1/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds
1 Tbsp mini M&M baking chips
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
generous pinch coarse sea salt (optional) 

Directions
Line a 7 X 11 (or 8X8) pan with parchment paper, set aside. 
In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together Reese PB Choc spread, Nutella, and syrup until smooth. Remove from heat.


Make sure your add ins are ready to go.


Stir the oats, flax, raisins, apricots, almonds, M&Ms, and sesame seeds into the Nutella mixture until well combined. Spread into prepared pan, sprinkle with generous pinch of seal salt (optional), and press firmly. Score into bars or squares (whichever size you like).


Chill until set - about 15 or so minutes.
Use the parchment paper to help remove the bars from the pan to a work surface.
Cut along the lines you scored.


Keeps best in the fridge but is not necessary.


I really liked the texture of these. Kind of a crunchy chewy thing going on. 
Also, make sure your oats are labelled gluten free as not all oats are - if you are worried about gluten. 
**NOTE** - To make my bars look a little prettier, I always save a pinch of the add ins to sprinkle on top. This ensures that you can see them otherwise they disappear into the bar and you don't notice them as much. It is totally not necessary as it doesn't affect the taste of the bars.... I just think it makes them look a little prettier. :)  
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Yummy!! Thanks for Linking up at My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Hope to see you again this week!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete