Sunday, June 28, 2015

Apple Streusel Scones (Gluten Free)


Yes. I'm trying more gluten free recipes.
My niece asked me to make her something gluten free when she came home for a visit. I initially tried to find a gluten free muffin recipe but all the ones I could find used those funky, expensive ingredients that I just don't use enough to warrant buying them. (xanthan gum, guar gum, etc...)
I searched around and found several "scone" recipes that I could work with. I put scone in quotation marks because it's not a traditional scone. I find when I'm making anything gluten free the textures are usually completely different from "regular". 
That being said.... these are very tasty and although I thought they were going to be dry and crumbly because they looked a little dry and crumbly - they are actually moist and just the perfect amount of crumbly. 
Kenzie loved them. So.... I'm counting it as a win. 


Apple Streusel Scones (Gluten Free)

Ingredients
Streusel
2 Tbsp almond flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp Skor bits

Scones
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 apple, grated
1 tsp vanilla

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients until crumbly. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, sugar, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder. In a smaller bowl, stir together the egg, apple, and vanilla.


Stir the apple mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined. Spoon onto prepared cookie sheet (I did 6 palm-sized scones but you could make them smaller if you wanted to.)
Sprinkle generously with the streusel and lightly press down.


Bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes, under golden brown and appears "dry".  Remove from heat and let cool on cookie sheet for at least 15 minutes before moving to wire rack to cool completely. 


Also fabulous warm. 
From start to finish in about half an hour. Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment