Sunday, April 26, 2015

Philly Cheesesteak Salad


Now you can make a salad even your hubby will approve of. 
So.
Much.
Meat.
Oh, yeah, and mushrooms and onions and green peppers and cheese. 
*drool*
Sue was the one who came up with this salad and was a telling  me about how good it was and how much even her hubby (salad hater!) LOVED it. She even sent me this photo from her phone to torture me...


Looks ridiculously tasty, am I right?
Anyway... she gave me her list of ingredients and I went from there. She used cucumber and a bit of ranch dressing but I decided to use a bit more "pure" Philly cheesesteak ingredients plus add my favorites. The recipe below is my take on Sue's salad. Sue gets full credit for this one. (P.S. - she told me to tell everyone that. I quote, "you aren't allowed to steal this one.")


Philly Cheesesteak Salad (a la Sue)

Ingredients
2 cups lettuce, chopped
2 cups baby spinach, chopped
1 slice tomato, diced
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 small onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 lb (250 gr) lean steak, sliced and diced
1 slice Armstrong Cheese Melts (ie: processed cheese)
Salt & Pepper

Directions
Place lettuce, spinach, and tomato on a serving plate. Have mushrooms, onions, and green pepper cut and ready to go. 


Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat.
Take your sliced steak....


Cook until steak is almost at your desired done-ness level.
Throw in the mushrooms, onions, and green pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables and steak are done to your preference, about 5 minutes for me...
Tear the cheese into pieces and place in random spots on top of the mixture in the pan.


Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for about 2 minutes - until cheese has melted. 
Scoop the meat/veggies on to your lettuce/spinach on the plate, season with salt & pepper, and serve immediately.


As I mentioned above, Sue drizzled a little ranch dressing over the lettuce and spinach before putting the meat and veggies on top. I didn't find it necessary. The juices from the meat and veggies plus the fact that the heat wilts the greens a little adds up to enough "dressing" for me. 
Now, of course you can add more veggies and more cheese if you prefer. I used the amounts above to calculate the nutritional info.
(One serving - recipe counts as one serving - is 435 calories, 23 carbs, 10 fat, 63 protein, 4 fiber)
You can also switch out the processed cheese slices for either shredded cheese or even heat up some cheese whiz and drizzle it on top. 
I counted this as one serving because I eat it as a meal. If you were serving it as a side dish you could probably get 4 servings out of it. It is very filling!
 

2 comments:

  1. This salad with the steak and all the veggies sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again this Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I’m drooling right now! Looks so good. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you on Monday at 7, we can’t wait to party with you! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete